07 Feb Orchid Dendrobium
The Dendrobium orchid is an easy orchid to grow. They come in many different colors, sizes and shapes. Flowers will last 2 months from the time the first bud opens and may continue to produce new sprays if kept a bright spot with adequate warmth.
- Temperature: 55 to 60°F at night. 70 to 90°F during the day.
- Light: Locate in an east facing window or a shaded south facing window.
- Water: Water once or twice a week, except in summer when watering may need to be more frequent Let plant dry out between waterings. Let plant drain completely before returning to a saucer, never allowing plant to sit in water. Do not use water that has been softened by addition of salts. Thoroughly flush with clear water once a month to prevent salt buildup.
- Humidity: 40% to 50% humidity. Use of a humidity tray may be useful.
- Fertilization: Use an orchid food such as Better-gro, a urea free food with nitrate nitrogen, feeding every other week.
- Growing Medium: A medium orchid bark mix is preferable. Make sure plant has good drainage. Do not crowd the plant as it likes adequate air movement.